Instructor: Paula Koerner
Cost: $130 includes class, materials and lunch. (A boxed lunch will be provided from Notch Top Bakery and Café. The student will be emailed before the day of the class to pick their lunch option)
Class Size: 15
Class Location: Estes Park
Date & Time: Saturday January 4th, 2020 9 am-4 pm, with a one hour lunch break
Class Description: In this class we will cover all finishing techniques needed to finish most knitting projects:
- How to properly weave in our ends in garter, stockinette, and two kinds of ribbing so they are completely hidden.
- How to seam using mattress stitch in both stockinette and garter stitch: stitch to stitch, row to row, and stitch to row.
- Three Needle Bind Off and Kitchener Stitch.
- We will finish the day with demonstrations and discussions on blocking.
- Students will leave feeling confident in their new skills and be ready to try projects that require seaming and more advanced techniques.
Class Level: Intermediate
IMPORTANT! The cost of the yarn is included in the price. Once you pay for the retreat, you must pick up your yarn early enough to complete your swatches before the retreat begins.
Homework: Must do prior to the retreat!
Knit and block the following swatches with a size 7 or 8 needle.
- 4 swatches: Cast on 30 stitches, knit 4” in stockinette stitch and bind off
- 4 swatches: Cast on 30 stitches, knit 4” in garter stitch and bind off
- 1 swatch: Cast on 20 stitches, knit 2x2 rib for 3” and bind off all stitches in pattern
- 1 swatch: Cast on 20 stitches, knit 1x1 rib for 3” and bind off all stitches in pattern
- 4 swatches: Cast on 30 stitches, knit 6 rows in stockinette stitch (ending with a purl row), cut yarn leaving a long tail, place on stitch holder
Bring the following to class:
- Swatches knit up in Cascade 220.
- Bring the needles size you used to knit swatches and bring an extra set of single points and a set of double points
- Worsted weight yarn in contrasting color with a smooth texture (about 15 yards)
- Pen or pencil for note taking
Prerequisite skills: In order for you to feel comfortable in this class, students should know how to cast on, bind off, knit, purl, increase, decrease, read basic knitting instructions and have completed a few projects.
We are looking forward to having you join our class. Please arrange to arrive at least five minutes before the class is scheduled to begin. You may want to arrive earlier so that we can help you select materials or to browse through the shop (we always have something new to share). We make an effort to stock the supplies that you need, so if you do not have all of the materials listed for the class, don’t worry, we can help.